Saturday, September 25, 2010

I'm in Korea YO!

Hi everyone! Sorry that I didn't post anything right away, but I really haven't done a whole lot yet to write about. I'm staying with the Kim family until Monday which is when I'll be going to Cheongju - the city where I'm teaching. It's been a restful and peaceful week to say the least; I've been able to do a lot of reading and have had a lot of relaxation time. The Kims have been extremely welcoming and warm as always. It's still hard to help out because they see me as a guest still. Luckily, I've been able to do the dishes a few times and helped with cooking preparations, but I'm still trying to weasel my way in to doing more. Wish me luck with that!

Today, Ms. Yoon (Mr. Kim's wife - in Korea, the wife doesn't take her husband's last name, but keeps her maiden name), Kyeong-heon, Jiwon and I went to the Seoul Design Fair, which was held at the Olympics Stadium. Can you guess what year South Korea held the Olympics??? *Drum roll* 1988!!! Yes, the year I was born. It felt surreal being there to be honest. The entire time I've been in Korea thus far has been surreal. I'm still soaking everything in and the fact that I'll be here for a year. Anyway, back to the Seoul Design Fair! It was really cool actually! The designs varied from furniture to technology to buildings.  They weren't just Korean made designs, but international. I'll be posting pictures for you to see!^^

After that, we went and had lunch with Ji-Yoon (Ji-Won's younger sister), her husband their baby girl, Hyo-Bin. I don't know the husband's name so I'll just keep calling him 'the husband.' We ate at a Vietnamese restaurant and had PHO!!! Ahh!! It was so yummy!! It tasted like the pho back home in Minnesota~~~

In general, I have a good feeling about being here in Korea. It kind of feels like I'm coming home to a second home. It's still really early in my experience here, but I think I'm going to like it here^^ I'm understanding more Korean than I thought I would, but speaking is harder for me because of my lack of vocabulary. Hopefully I'll be able to find a Korean class or Korean tutor in Cheongju! 

I don't feel too homesick yet, but that will probably change once I'm on my own in Cheongju. I feel ready to be living on my own though. It's something I've been looking forward to, and I'm ready for the challenge. 







1 comment:

  1. Natalie,
    Thanks for having your parents forward your blog-I will love to follow your teaching year in Korea-what fun pictures already. Take care and I will be awaiting updates when you schedule permits. Norma and Dave too!
    (When my profile came up it came up as Dave but it is really Norma writing-I will have figure out how to correct that)

    ReplyDelete