Hello everyone! I'm back from another weekend in Seoul; a friend from college came to visit and we met up! We went to Insadong which is this extremely art and craft city where you can find pop culture souvenirs as well as traditional kimchi pots and stunning pieces of art. I think I'd been there before with my parents, but I couldn't remember. I still can't remember, but I'm pretty sure we were there. I can't imagine that we wouldn't have gone! I loved it there - the atmosphere sparked with energy and creativity. I got some gift shopping done and had an enjoyable walk down the long street before the hustle and bustle began. I listened to my music, had a little skip in my walk and inhaled deeply the crisp and fresh air. I loved every second of it. Sometimes I get a little hesitant about shopping or going places by myself because I enjoy doing those kinds of activities with another person, but today, I just went for it and I had no regrets about having a solo adventure. =)
There was one instance today that brought tears to my eyes. While browsing around in Insadong, I stopped in a small shop and I was picking out a few things to buy. The shopkeeper was an older woman and she asked where I was from, which city I lived in in Korea and what my job was. All of this took place in Korean though! Anyway, she was a really pleasant woman and she was really delighted that I was teaching English to Korean kids. She asked me to teach them well~ As I was paying, she asked me if my family was Korean - she was thinking that I was a second generation Korean, but I told her I was adopted, and her reaction really took me by surprise. She asked, "Yang-nyeo? (adoptee)" and I told her yes. Then, she came closer and hugged me. She had this really sad look on her face and it really felt like she was welcoming back a lost child; I guess that for her, that's essentially what it was. Her sincerity touched me to the core as I held back my tears and thanked her. She kept saying thank you and I didn't know what to say. That moment I shared with that woman did feel like being welcome back to a home that I'd never known. I had no connection to her, but her outward warmth established a tie. Does that make sense?
Since coming to Korea, this is my first time receiving a response as this woman's. Most of the time, Korean people just brush it off or they don't fully comprehend the concept of adoption. I could go into a whole explanation, but I'll leave that for another day.
After getting back from Seoul, I was craving some kimchijjigae and quenched it by eating a really spicy one! It was so good but I definitely needed some kleenex >.<
I hope you're all doing well and enjoying each day to the fullest! Even though our lives can become hectic and stressful, let's all try to stay positive and focus on the good. Without the bad, we can't appreciate the good.
A special shoutout to Gerry! If you're reading this, I randomly thought of you today as I was looking at ornamented chopsticks in Insadong. There were wooden and metal ones, all beautiful, and I thought of you. I think you would have appreciated their aesthetic appearance. =)
Natalie,
ReplyDeleteThanks for the upbeat reminder to be joyful and thankful each day no matter what the stress is. The story with the woman make be wonder if she may have had some experience with adoption with her own child or a family member. It seemed she was so grateful that you returned to Korea to teach English to the children-interesting if she would have shared anything if she were not working-who knows her story?? We had a fun bowling event for church on Sunday and although I am not sure how much your mom or dad bowled it seemed like Phil and the little boys were having great fun. Hope you had a fun Valentine Day and thanks for sharing your life in Korea with us-we really enjoy the updates. Actually I think I am under Dave's account again- oh well Love Norma and Dave
Natalie
ReplyDeleteThis is Dave under his own account:) I agree with Norma that the women you wrote about most likely has a story of her own to tell. I do know that there are people who come into our lives, often in brief encounters, which are important and touches us at times of need. I do not believe the events just happens but it is God showing His love and care for His children. I have found it is best not to over think this too much but to accept His love, through these encounters and give Him praise and thanks. Thank you so much for sharing.
Dave