So much has happened between the last time I wrote and now but a lot of it is escaping my mind at the moment. I'm at a very serene and comfortable cafe, Art Espresso, with Ann. It's a lovely Sunday afternoon and we decided to spend the day here. Sounds quite perfect, doesn't it? I have a ton of photos to show you as well. Are you ready? Please wait a little longer as I want to try and fill you in on what's happened over the past month.
Last weekend, my close friend, Lisa, and her boyfriend, PX, came from Hong Kong to visit me!!! It was so freaking awesome. Can you imagine seeing one of your best friends from college?!?! I think it says something about a relationship, any relationship, when after a long absence from one another, you can pick up right where you left off. There's no awkward pauses or silences, but rather it's a comfortable quietness. It's being in tune with the other's personality and going from there. I saw Lisa in Taiwan back in May but we were really quiet for some reason. We laughed about it last weekend. Oh man. We took some photos - ones that you'll be seeing as you scroll down - and it was so great to see her. Though she's from Hong Kong, she still felt like a present from back home.
Speaking of home, I'm officially visiting home from December 22-January 3rd. I know it doesn't seem like a very long time but please understand the work environment here especially at a private academy where our only time off is a week for summer, a week for winter and public holidays. I'm lucky and grateful to be able to go home for two weeks. Lots of people to visit and catch up with you. It's going to be a whirlwind. I want to try my best to see everyone but I don't know if that'll happen so I apologize ahead of time! I'm going to try and see you all!! ^^
REWIND! For Chuseok - Korean Thanksgiving - I went with a group of friends to Ulleungdo, a Korean island. It was an adventure...we'll leave it at that. Hehe. The weather wasn't ideal as it was raining for the first day and a half but we dealt with it. We did a little hiking but I really thought it was going to be a beach-like island where we could go swimming and play beach volleyball. Sadly, no. It was a volcanic island so no pure sand there. Hehe. Oh well. I did go bridge jumping there! It was so exhilarating as I jumped from the bridge into the water. I love rollercoasters, speed and height so it was right down my alley! Loved it!
The kids are doing well although one of my classes has been pretty naughty lately. It's my very dynamic class with multiple personalities. Hehe I love their creativity and energy though despite it's sometimes draining effect. We're preparing for an open house which is where the parents come and watch us teach a class. Nerve-wracking to say the least. The 7-year old teachers have it the worst I think because the parents, specifically the moms, want to see how much their child has improved, but in this open house situation it's quite difficult because the students don't act the same way when their parents are there. A lot of them tend to be very quiet and are reluctant to talk even though they know the answer and are usually talkative in class. I think it's too stressful for the kids. Too much pressure on them at that young of an age. Sigh.
To update you about my plans after my contract is finished at the end of February, I'm still debating between staying another year in Korea or trying a year in Taiwan. If I stay in Korea, I have a couple ideas in mind. I'd like to look for opportunities within a company here such as LG or Samsung or I'd like to work part-time at a school and volunteer during my free hours. I'm still sifting through my options so once I have my plan solidified, I'll let you know. ^^
My coworker/friend, John and Eunju got married on September 24th! It was a beautiful wedding but Korean weddings are very different from Western ones. For one, they're a lot shorter as in maybe one hour or a little less. Also, there aren't receptions sadly T.T Check out the photos and see their sweet aisle.
Here are some photos now!
No comments:
Post a Comment