Monday, June 6, 2011

Wish You Were Here

I'm at Caffe Bene listening to music at the moment.  I'm listening to Avril Lavigne's song, Wish You Were Here, and thought that it was fitting for this blog post.  I just finished uploading a ton of photos onto my computer and did some photo editing; it took such a long time and made me realize that I should do it more often.  As I was going through the pictures, it made me wish that loved ones from back home could be here.  I'm not really feeling lonely, but the absence of friends and family from back home is stronger today than other days.  I've seen couples, friends and families come and go from the cafe today and it made me feel wistful.  If only a close friend was here so that we could sit together, sip our drinks and share a comfortable silence.  It's not that I need to fill a silence with speaking, but I miss sharing space with another person.  I enjoy solitude and my quiet time, but I do miss simply being in a close friend's presence.  Say you like strawberry ice cream, it's your all-time favorite, but you'd like to try the new flavors that are coming out.  So you do and you really enjoy them, but despite your newfound like for these new ones, you still have a strong urge and link to strawberry.  It's your go-to flavor because you'll always be content with it.  I suppose the same could be said for me at the moment.  As much as I love Korea, I miss people from back home.  As I was gazing out the window, I could imagine myself staying in Korea for a lot longer - dare I say permanently - but then the images of loved ones came to mind and how difficult it'd be to be apart from them.  I'm loving the life I've built here but if I had a teleporter, I would definitely be using it to bring people here^^ A few people have mentioned that they think I'll be in Korea permanently and while I have pondered this quite a bit, I don't see myself living here in the long run.  I'd like to live here for x amount of years, but only temporarily.

This past week was busy per usual, but a little more so because our new foreign teacher, Zach arrived and Rachel and Scott left.  I felt bad for Zach because it was so chaotic and he was thrown right in the middle of it, but he did well!  He survived his first week; it'll only get better from here.  One thing I've learned how to do pretty well here is adapting and flexibility.  Things are prone to change so instead of getting upset about it, just accept it, remind myself it's not the end of the world and go with the flow.  We can only do so much if things are out of our control.

On Friday night, we took him out for noraebang (karaoke) and he loved it!^^  I really can't get enough of noraebang. You'll be able to see some of our fun from Friday in the pictures below.

Honestly, I don't have much to express right now. I'm kind of exhausted from the week. We have tomorrow off though - it's Korea's memorial day.  I don't have any plans and that's what I'd planned.  The past few weekends have been busy so this is my chill weekend.  I'll get back to busy weekends next weekend!^^

Here are some photos of what's been going on. Enjoy!

 Kyeo-ul and Kyu-sik




We were at the arcade playing House of the Dead. I love this game!!!^^












This is Sally. She's in 5th grade and one of my favorite students.  I'm teaching her French phrases here and there.















If you look closely, you can see my friend's reflection in the spoon~










A Korean friend, Sue, was doing traditional Korean calligraphy for Rachel. 



This is Sue. She is so awesome to say the least.











Jinnie from my Minky class.

Tommy.

Julie

Ryan - he is such a clever boy and so polite. 

I took this one because I really like how Jessica writes.  The way she holds her pencil looks like a piece of art itself. 

This is Emily.  She always puts a smile on my face. Lately, when she sees me, she grabs my arm and smells it then tells me I smell good. Hehe.


Ruby
Isn't this fierce?! Zoolander anyone?^^

His eyelashes are so beautiful!


One of the birthday parties. 

Gayeon unni. Gorgeous.







Rachel and Hocky class (5-year olds).


This little one is Tom from Tonky class. He's super bright and super hilarious.  On Friday when I walked into the classroom, the chair next to him was empty so he told me to please sit there. 

Lewis

Melvin

Clara

Ann



Jason. Intelligent.




A bookstore in Sinae (downtown)


This is jjim-dalk. It's chicken that has soy sauce and hot pepper flavoring. It's super yummy!








This is Su-jin.


We both love taking pictures. Funny story for these ones though of us together. We couldn't figure out how the timer worked. We kept trying and trying while people stared at us*^-^*












This was Rachel's last night so we went out for noraebang...just the ladies!!!


Miky. He used to be in my 5-year old Pocky class but now he's in the 6-year old class. Cute huh?^^


Frank, Bin and Jenny from one of my elementary classes.


Jun. Really kind kid.















This is Eun-ju. She's John's fiancee. So fun and pretty!

This is John. He's from England. Really cool guy~

Our new foreign teacher, Zach. Looks gangsta? Nahhh, he was just messing around.

AND NORAEBANG!!! Yeah...I'm in my element I think >.<

Theresa and me rockin it out! She's a lot of fun!! 



Kyu-sik and Zach






















3 comments:

  1. Natalie,
    This is Norma probably signed in as Dave. As always a great update with the best children pictures-they make me smile. The people back home here in Minnesota miss seeing you also and when you are ready you will decide where the best place for you to settle will be but as you know it is a journey and you are an adventurer-I never did travel when I was young so take advantage of this time in your life to explore and the answers will come. They say it will be 100 degrees here today-too hot for me but we had a beautiful weekend so that helped.I hope my air conditioning continues to work-it is making some odd noises that I want to ignore!! I saw your mom and Gerry this Sat at Bible class but now that it is summer services won't see as much of them cause we usually go on Sundays and they on Thurs eve.- I will make a point to catch up with them. Thanks again for the update!! Love Dave and Norma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Natalie,
    This is David, just like is says:) I agree with Norma that this adventure may turn to your permanent home but who are we to predict the future? The children's pictures are so wonderful and brings a soul smile. With graduation of this last class just a few weeks ago, I know student leave, grow up, get married or not, have children or not but once a while they come back and remember you. There is no greater satisfaction or meaning to know you, in a small way and yet in a significant way, helped develop a person to accomplish their goals and their dreams. I was invited by my last clinical group to join them in downtown Minneapolis at a place called the Shout House. I did not go (careful of boundary issues) but it was nice to be invited. It was one of the girls birthday party. We had thought of getting together at Hunan for noraebang( think I got that right-my first word in Korean). I met the mother and aunt of a student who is from Korea and graduated this year. I was not sure if you bowed to each other in Korea but I thought so. I began to extend my hand for a hand shake but then decided the more appropriate greeting was to bow- from the waist and down as sign of respect. I am glad we did not hit heads! Let me know what was the proper thing to do. She did not speak English but it was very neat to meet both of them.
    It is over 100 degree F. I have to continue to study for a nurse certification test I have tomorrow. So yes, I am suppose to be studying but this is a great break.
    Warm thoughts and prayers to you
    Dave and Norma (if she was here now).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Had a lot of fun! Now n now n now now I'm going to meet George:)

    ReplyDelete